Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tiananmen Square



Finally we can get out at 9 a.m. so we don't have to suffer the midday heat. The power of Tiananmen square is its history and probably it's most recent. Of course there are temples, but there are the huge two communist style buildings, there is the omnipresence picture of Mao and the long line to see his body, most of all there is this huge patina of hypocrisy to forget the massacre. Every link on internet referring to the massacre is blocked, it does not even say blocked but that the connection has been lost. At the end of the story with the crackdown they were not even defending and ideal just protecting a cast of the new imperial court! People seems not to care about politics as long as they get richer...and that is how it goes. They will not be another Tiananmen for a very long time. 
Alain buys an umbrella just like the chinese the umbrella protects from the rain but also from the sun. However even with the umbrella we don't blend in!
We kept on walking along the wall of the imperial park and discovered a very peaceful surrounding where group of people hang out or improvise a dance.
I was also hanging out by sitting at the pedestal of a statue in the park. I see a group wanted to take a picture of the statue, so I moved, oops I did not realize that the statue they wanted to photograph was me! It happened again few minute later...this is so funny, maybe I should ask for money, but the way I never realize I was more interesting than a piece of art!
We are back home for a break, Oscar wants "spaghetti in the soup" and this food situation is becoming easier than expected.
In the afternoon we take a walk in the jishan park, which is the park part of the forbidden city where you have a magnificent view at 360 degree of all Beijing. You see the old part immersed in trees and after the 1st ring there are only building building buildings....why people forgot to plant trees! Unfortunately seems to be a reality in all modern cities.
We grab a taxi, fortunately cheap in Beijing, and take a walk in a hutong in Donsai....hutong are stil my favorite places, they maintained the secrecy of anoher way of life. 
At this point our plan to have dinner out is dismissed, we take a delicious room service.

No comments:

Post a Comment