The Forbidden City is clearly impressive! Having the kids watching the Last Emperor was a good marketing strategy even if they complained at the time. It was warm today but we could walk on the shade of passageway between one temple and another. The kids got a kick out of it especially on the exhibit of weaponry.
Today is also the begining of the Chinese school holiday, there are a lot of Chinese touristsI A young girl approach me and ask if she could take a picture of me with his brother, a little boy of around 13 years old, I was not sure what she meant at first and she repeated the question again and ask me if I spoke English....finally I connected I had to be the model of the caucasian race. If I knew that would happen to me I would have try to take better care of myself. Then it happened again but the model had to be kids which seems a wiser choice. However, it seems they were Chinese from out of town, in Beijing they had it with foreigners!
On the way back we took a tuktuk, she wanted to overcharge us, 10 times the taxi...the convenience of not speaking is that there is so much you can argue, we gave a little more than the taxi and walk away.
Ok I would say it is official: the west is the outlet of the east. We went to this mall 1 bloc away from home, unbelievable one of the most sofisticated mall I have seen in a long time. Price are not competitive but they have every stupid brand on the planet. I realize that the reality of this neighbourhood does not reflect the national reality however we are in the People's Republic, it seems as elitistic as it can be.
No comments:
Post a Comment