Sunday, July 4, 2010

Temple of Heaven


I wanted to discover this market, thinking it was a kind of flea market with all kind of "chinoiserie", it was more a jewelry, antiques series of store inside an enormous building. I manage to buy a little bracelet. They always ask you for some random price then you refuse and walk away they say : what is your price? Usually I go with what I was intending to pay without any regards with the asking price. (I realize later that the taxi took us to the wrong market).
We decide to grab a taxi and dedicate ourselves to more cultural activities. We get to the Temple of Heaven that really deserves its name. The day is clear and the blue, green, gold, red of the perfectly restored temple it is blending with the sky.  A cool-to-be Chinese young guy ask to have a picture taken with the kids. I am trying to imagine the same scene in the States! .....The kids submit to this ritual with resignation trying their fakest smiles.
Once we get out to the opposite gate we are across the street from Pearl Market mentioned by Alessandra has been the paradise of bargaining. I have to say it was a bit overwhelming especially the leather good section, I was grabbed by this lady who wanted to sell me real-fake Dolce and Gabbana. Then I felt really smart I say that iI buy that I would be arrested at the airport, AH AH it worked, they say: you are from France! Yes and this is a good moment not to deny it. I negotiate a communist canvas bag from 180 to 30 Yuans and a necklace from two nice non-aggressive ladies from 200 to 45 Yuans. 
On a personal note:
I like the life of not having to worry about cleaning up and pick up other people's mess, if the price for this luxury is not starting my day by drinking my supreme good coffee in the morning so be it...I will choose a good nescafé instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment